Home » 4-Year College FAQ’s

4-Year College FAQ’s

Be sure to visit the College/Career webpage at http://downey.monet.k12.ca.us/college/collegeWebpage.html . This webpage should be the first place students go to begin planning their college/career journey. Both students & parents are encouraged to explore the many links that provide information about college campuses, online applications, entrance exams, financial aid, scholarship searches, career exploration, athlete searches and other important college/career information. Scholarship webpage is usually up and running in late September. Visit http://downey.monet.k12.ca.us/college/scholarshipTDHS.html for most current postings.

How & when do I apply to 4-year colleges?
*October 1st -November 30th for CSU (www.csumentor.edu).
*November 1st -30th for UC (www.universityofcalifornia/admissions).
*Fee waivers for CSU and UC applications are available online at the end of the application process.
*Private universities have various deadlines and application fees. Check individual college websites for specific information or visit www.commonapp.org
*Request an unofficial copy of your transcript from KTL office to assist you in entering every detail correctly. If you do not accurately report your grades, the college can rescind their offer once they receive your final transcript in June. If you receive a “D” or “F” the first semester of your senior year, you MUST contact the colleges you applied to and inform them.

Do I need to take the SAT Subject Tests for the UC System? SAT Subject Tests are no longer required for admission. However if you plan to major in Engineering, Math or Science, it is recommended you take the subject tests in math and/or science. Please refer to specific campuses to determine which test is necessary to apply to for a specific major.

How do I send my SAT scores to colleges/universities?
*If you would like your SAT scores sent to more than one CSU, then use CSU Mentor, Long Beach code (3594) when you register to take the exam or on SAT testing day and it will go to all CSU campuses and only counts as ONE of the four you can send for free. CSU’s will take the highest math and verbal from multiple test dates.
*If you would like your SAT scores sent to more than one UC, simply submit to ONE UC when you register to take the exam or on SAT testing day and all UC’s will be able to access your scores. This will only count as ONE of the four you can send for free. UC’s will take the highest test score from one sitting
*If you need to send your scores to any private schools, you will need to enter in those schools individually on SAT testing day or on Collegeboard.
*Registering for SAT https://sat.collegeboard.org/home?navid=gh-sat and ACT http://www.actstudent.org TESTING must be done by NOVEMBER and test must be taken by the December test date in order to be accepted by the colleges. NOTE: Some schools MAY NOT accept the December tests. Check college websites to be certain.

What is EOP? The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is designed to improve access and retention of historically low-income, educationally disadvantaged and/or first generation college students. You may not necessarily have to meet all the A-G requirements when applying under the EOP “umbrella”. When applying online to the CSU or UC, you must check the box that indicates you are applying through EOP. Financial assistance is usually offered as well.

When do I find out if I am accepted? For CSUs, the earlier you apply, the sooner you will hear back. UC acceptance letters are typically received in mid-March to early April. Private universities will vary.

When do I have to make a final decision regarding acceptance? May 1st is the most common deadline for letting the colleges know of your “intent” to enroll. Read and respond to requests for information carefully when you receive your acceptance letters and check your email REGULARLY!

Do I need to send a transcript with my UC and CSU application? No. The UC and CSU applications DO NOT require a transcript at the time you submit your application. Sometimes, they WILL ask for one mid-year transcript, so check your email frequently! Also, make sure to check the requirements for private schools regarding transcripts and letters of recommendation.

What is the Common Application and how do I use it? The Common Application is often used when applying to private universities (https://www.commonapp.org). Remember that private colleges have different deadlines, so be sure to do your research carefully. There is a portion of the application on the Common App where you will need to waive your FERPA rights and a section for the counselor and your teachers to also complete. If you plan to apply to one or more private colleges, it’s important you start early in your senior year as there are many steps to complete in this process. DON’T PROCRASTINATE!

Which colleges require Letters of Recommendation (LOR)? ONLY private schools require an LOR. (CSU’s and UC’s DO NOT require and WILL NOT accept LOR.) Private universities and scholarship applications will typically require one or more letters of recommendation (check specifics). Ask teachers who know you well, and give them at least 2-3 weeks notice.
What is the EPT and ELM? If you plan to enroll at a CSU, then these two placement tests need to be taken for the CSU’s in math and english. However, you may be exempt from taking one or both of these tests based on the test results you took in your junior year. You may also be exempt if your SAT or ACT scores are high enough. If you plan to enroll at a CSU and discover that your need to take the EPT and/or ELM placement test, please schedule to take it either in January or February at CSU, Stanislaus (you don’t have to attending Stanislaus in order to take the test). Visit the CSUS assessment/testing website and register at http://www.ets.org/csu/registration.

How many college applications should I submit? Around 5-6: a “dream” school, a couple of “probable admittance” and at least one or two “safety” schools (like CSU Stanislaus or UC Merced since they are in our demographic area).

Should I make campus visits? Absolutely! You want to make sure the school is a good match for you. Try to schedule visits to colleges periodically throughout your high school career.

How do I find colleges that will best fit my major and areas of interest? Great website that is free to all users is www.californiacolleges.edu. It lists all 2 and 4 year colleges in California, allowing you to compare and contrast them, gives great tips regarding cost, size, application, financial aid, etc. Be sure to check it out!

How can I find out about scholarships? Scholarships are posted on the Scholarship webpage at http://downey.monet.k12.ca.us/college/scholarshipTDHS.html. Once you decide where you are will attend in the fall, be sure to check out the scholarships that are offered by your college/university!

When should I apply for financial aid? The FAFSA application is a form you and your family fill out together at https://fafsa.ed.gov . All students should apply for financial aid regardless of GPA or family income level. FAFSA is to be filed from January 1st – March 2. You must have your Social Security number (SS#) on file with the school office if you plan to apply for a Cal Grant or any other FAFSA financial aid. This will allow KTL District to electronically submit your Cal Grants. It is the student’s responsibility to check with KTL office to verify that their name and number on file, match the name and number on his/her social security card. Please verify legal name and SS# NOW otherwise the state will reject your submission and you risk NOT qualifying for Financial Aid/CalGrants. Financial aid is given for different reasons and can be used at different types of colleges such as 4-year universities, community colleges and career technical schools. It is highly recommended you and your parent attend the many free community FAFSA workshop events available in your area and plan to file your FAFSA no later than the end of January.

Will my AP test scores earn me college credit at every university? Many CSU and UC campuses accept AP exam scores of 3, 4, or 5. Private colleges may handle these in different ways. To view AP credit policies by university, go to: www.collegeboard.com/ap/creditpolicy. It is strongly recommended to check by specific campus on individual college websites to see how credit is awarded.

What if I want to play sports at a Division I or Division II school? Register with the NCAA by the end of your junior year or very beginning of your senior year. Visit www.ncaa.student.org and go to the “Eligibility Center” tab to register. Contact the sport coach of the campus you’re applying to, to verify that you are on track to meet the NCAA requirements.